The University of Iowa Online Education Admissions
Important admissions dates
|Term||Priority Deadline||Final Deadline||Start Date|
|Fall 2023||July 14, 2023||August 7, 2023||August 21, 2023|
|Priority Deadline||July 14, 2023|
|Final Deadline||August 7, 2023|
|Start Date||August 21, 2023|
How to apply
General application information
Specific admission requirements for the online Master of Science in STEM Education and the Master of Arts in Teaching, Leadership, and Cultural Competency are noted below. This information applies to both programs.
- Complete an online application
- A GPA of 3.0 is required. However, you may be admitted with a lower GPA based on the merit of additional application materials. Speak with an Admissions Advisor to learn more
- Copies of undergraduate transcripts for all schools attended
- Official transcripts are required before your first start date
- If you graduated from the University of Iowa, you don’t have to supply the transcripts, just proof of your degree
- GRE is not required.If you are an international student, you must supply acceptable scores on the TOEFL or IELTS test.
- Minimum TOEFL score of 600 (250 computer-based test or 81 internet-based test)
- IELTS minimum score of 7.0 (with no sub score lower than 6.0)
- An Admissions Advisor can supply more information
Download the application guide
These handy one-page guides list all the application requirements for the University of Iowa online master’s degrees in education. Print one out or keep it on your computer for easy reference.
Download the MS in STEM Education Application Checklist
Download the MATLCC Application Guide
Information about transfer credits
You may transfer qualifying previously completed graduate coursework, with approval from the program director in conjunction with the faculty lead for the course being substituted. The MS in STEM Education program accepts up to 12 credits, and the MATLCC program accepts up to 9 program credits. An Admissions Advisor can help you with information about the transfer process.
MS in STEM Education
Additional admissions information
Teaching licensure or certification is recommended. Preferred candidates for the online MS in STEM Education will have a degree or professional experience in one of the following:
- A science or math area
- Science or math education
- Elementary education with a science or math emphasis
MA in Teaching, Leadership, and Cultural Competency
Additional admissions information
Submit one of the following:
- A valid teaching license in at least one state is preferred
- If you do not have a valid teaching license, you must submit a Statement of Intent
An Admissions Advisor can supply more information.
Begin your career upgrade
Become a educational leader in your school, district, or community with a University of Iowa online master’s. Nationally and across professions, master’s degree holders earn an average of 18% more than those whose highest degree is a bachelor’s.1
Blaze new educational trails
We can show you how. The University of Iowa has been a higher education leader since the 1800s and is U.S. News & World Report’s #1 Best College in Iowa, and the #37 Best Online Master of Education Program.2, 3
For yourself and your students
The skills and connections you gain here can open up a brighter future for your students, as well as for you. Become the most effective educator you can be, for your students’ sake, with an online master’s from the College of Education at Iowa.
Take your career and students further
Want to see how a master’s degree can help you teach better, lead more effectively and fuel your career? Complete the form to get a program brochure.
Get valuable insights into the online experience, learn more about the College of Education, and see where this degree can take you.
Discover Your Next Step
Move ahead with Iowa’s educational trailblazers
Enjoy the interaction possible in small classes and with dedicated faculty in the program designed by educators for working educational professionals. Complete your degree without upending your life in as little as two years.
Find out about financing
Visit our tuition and financial aid page to learn more about tuition and the resources available to help you pay for your degree.