STEM education has been called the“ key to our economic future” as a country, because there is a growing number of high – paying jobs in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, but they are difficult to fill due to lack of qualified candidates. As a result, educators with specialized training in STEM education are in high demand.
The University of Iowa offers a 100 % online Master of Science in STEM Education that prepares educators to equip the next generation to solve challenging problems, gather and evaluate data, and apply critical thinking skills to make sound decisions. The M.S. in STEM Education program combines research and leadership seminars and experiential learning opportunities with science and math education and content courses, providing graduates with the tools to effectively engage learners in the 21st century.
Recently ranking #24 on U.S. News & World Report‘s Best Online Education Programs in the Nation list, this program is both nationally respected and convenient. The curriculum is designed for busy, working educators eager to meet the needs of schools and districts for STEM educators as teachers, instructional leaders, and curriculum developers. The program is also appropriate for professionals working in community programs, content creation, and education advocacy.
This innovative program requires 36 credit hours total, which consists of:
- Program core courses in STEM pedagogy, education, and science/mathematics (18 hours)
- Independent research (6 hours)
- Additional coursework (6 hours)
- STEM extracurricular experience and capstone (6 hours)
Candidates in the program simultaneously earn the M.S. in STEM Education while completing many of the requirements necessary to obtain the Iowa K-12 STEM Education Specialist endorsement (this endorsement is only for the state of Iowa). Candidates seeking the endorsement will need to complete additional coursework before applying to the Iowa BOEE. This program does not grant teaching licensure.
About the College of Education
We offer a powerful and personal education within a Big Ten Research Institution. Our graduates go on to become world-class leaders, scholars, and innovators in many different facets of education – from teaching, educational administration and counseling to student development, higher education, measurement and testing, and more. The University of Iowa College of Education’s academic programs are consistently ranked among the best in the state and the nation.
U.S. News & World Report
- #24 Best Online Education Programs in the Nation
- #1 College of Education in Iowa
- #3 Rehabilitation Counseling (2018)
- #10 Student Counseling and Personnel Services (2019)
- #12 Higher Education Administration (2019)
- #28 Best Public College of Education, #40 Best College of Education in U.S. (2019)
National Council on Teacher Quality
- The Secondary Education Teacher Education Program top 2% in the nation
- Top 6% — the National Council on Teacher Quality’s (NCTQ) rank for the college’s elementary education program
- Top 2% — NCTQ’s rank for the college’s secondary education programs
The College of Education faculty teaching in the M.S. STEM Education courses are dedicated educators who have both impressive academic credentials and real-world education experience.